Monday, April 27, 2009

Prophetic painting

Today we were sort of "commissioned" to do some prophetic painting at this non Christian University campus in Stavanger, Norway by a christian organization that is present on the campus. Tomorrow we're playing 3 shows at 3 different locations during the day, so that will be sweet to be able to sing and worship all over campus!
But today we got out our paints, easels, and canvases and went to work in this big hall of one of the main buildings. 4 of us just standing there.... painting...praying.... singing.... talking... thinking.... stopping to talk to passers by. It was great! I actually had an idea of what I was to paint and why as I was painting it, but wasn't sure who it was for (we paint the paintings and then pray for God to show us who to give them to and what they mean for them specifically). After an hour we had to move on and get some food, so I finished up and waited.
Several hours later Erika headed up teaching a course to about 15 very eager students about prophetic painting: the heart behind it, the usefulness of it, how to express God's heart within your own abilities, as well as simple techniques and painting structures. While she was teaching I had a sense that recipient of my painting was there in the room, so I began to scan and see who it might be. AHA! There he is....!! .... but then I waited. We began to paint again and I started a new painting and just waited for the right time to give him his painting. Finally at the end we had a chance to share about what God was speaking to us in our paintings and his painting was derived from some inspiration from Proverbs 4:23... which is one of my life verses! Recently God has been teaching me about what exactly "guarding my heart" means and how I have instead put up a wall around my heart in the past years; so I am currently working on tearing down that wall!! Anyway, he began to share and everything he said made me want to jump up and down and scream "YES, YES!" It was so amazing! He was speaking what my heart had been learning about this verse and I KNEW that this painting was for him because we were both coming from similar places.
Here is the painting that I gave him.

It is a picture of a flame that is a powerful, white hot, but needs to purpose itself to be around other similar flames (you can see the "other flame" in the top left corner) in order to guard itself from the darkness that so eagerly wants to overcome it. There was more, but I'll spare you any more details.... just know that it was a word for him that spoke right to his heart! I felt so blessed to be able to serve God in such a fun and exciting way. If you're an artist... I HIGHLY suggest you step out and try it sometime in a downtown area or maybe on your front porch.. and if you're not an artist.... go for it anyway!

3 comments:

Erica (sis) said...

I really miss the gift of prophetic art at DCF, I am so glad to see that you are stepping out to allow God to use you in this intimate way. The flame painting is beautiful, really amazing story. Be blessed as you continue to be a blessing! I love you and miss you. I will show AK your painting tomorrow when she wakes up. I am trying to read her your and Erika's blogs,show her pics & play her music that you both have written and sing. It's fun for me, just trying to help her not forget you and get to know you & Erika even in your absence.

Rachel said...

Ahhhh.... you are a breath of fresh air. All of this is a breath of fresh air.

cynthia said...

Is God good or what? How exciting! So glad that you have ears to hear Him and a heart that the well flows from!
I love you
1Cor13